- Warm sleeping bag
- Light camping mattress
- Warm, durable wind and waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers
- Gaiters or chaps
- Warm gloves, hat and scarf
- Good waterproof walking boots (no riding boots!)
- One pair of light spare shoes
- Jodhpurs or some equivalent riding trousers
- One spare pair of trousers
- Very warm woollen or fleece pullover
- One spare pullover
- T-shirt and long sleeved shirt
- Thermal underwear
- Warm walking socks
- Swimming costume and small towel
- Wash Kit, personal medications
- Sunglasses (for crossing the glacier)
This equipment list is purely a guideline. Please be aware that our route is between the North Atlantic and the Drangajökull icecap, where the weather is unpredictable and can quickly change from sunny T-shirt temperatures to freezing rain or even snow on the glacier, so you need to be prepared for these conditions.
In addition, please keep in mind that riding clothes that have been in contact with horses out of Iceland need to be washed and disinfected pre-entry to Iceland. You can get further information on this at the Icelandic Veterinary Authority.
All your belongings should be packed in waterproof bags and need to be as small as possible as they are carried in saddle bags on your own horse.
Last but not least, don’t forget a sense of humour!